date : 11.5.2012
location : shoreline, waiorua bay
time : 11.20pm
duration : 20:00
notes
: walking along the coast of Waiorua bay, at the North end of Kapiti
Island, I arrive at the site of a decommissioned coastal warning light
tower whose few remnants - a lichen-encrusted concrete foundation and
various planks scattered around the stones - are slowly biodegrading,
becoming indistinguishable from the rocky beach and plentiful driftwood
heaped in drifts metres high, in some places including whole trees, as
the seasons of rain and sun take their toll. It seems the text of
history is crumbling, its memory of human inhabitation falling away as
the rapidly re-foresting island claims all traces, a complex palimpsest
underneath its current identity as a place where New Zealand’s remaining
birds can replenish their populations without pressure from introduced
mammalian predators. Returning to the site over a few weeks, I make
location recordings, I take a radio and search the shortwave, finding a
paucity of signals registering in the aetheric sea, and just before
midnight I play the violin in the freezing winds, folding the sounds of
the instrument into the wider instrumentation of the place, its harsh
tonalities, shrieking seabirds and the ongoing crash of the waves, the
night calls of forest birds. It seems that sometime during this process
the violin itself loses its memory, or perhaps regains it, becomes tidal
and avian, full of a voice tuning into the site, in and out of signal. I
imagine it is the sound of the site speaking to itself, but of course,
it is my own unfamiliar voice that rings in my ears, my own listening
that I am listening to.
---
gull lines, at a slope of conduction (for waiorua shoreline, violin and shortwave)
was recorded as a contribution to the Time Inventors Kabinet (TIK)
festival of ecological media arts (11 - 13 May 2012) in Brussels